JT's Blog

JT's little piece of the internet.

Archive for the ‘IT’ Category


VMware Acronyms

So I’ve been working with VMware quite a bit for the past few years and I just learned what the “ESX” in VMware ESX stands for:

  • ESX = Elastic Sky X
  • GSX = Ground Storm X  (VMware GSX was the predecessor to VMware server, their host-based server virtualization product)

So the next time somebody talks about “Enterprise” or “Groupware”, you’ll know that info is incorrect.

Thanks to Carl Linkletter for the following additional VMware acronyms:

  • VPX = Virtual Provisioning X
  • VPXA = Virtual Provisioning X Agent
  • VPXD = Virtual Provisioning X Daemon
  • VMX = Virtual Machine eXecutable
  • AAM = Automated Availability Manager
  • VIX = Virtual Infrastructure eXtension
  • VIM = Virtual Infrastructure Management

Another cool acronym: TWAIN = Technology Without An Interesting Name

Posted under IT, Personal

Migrating an iPod or iPhone to a new computer

So I mentioned in a previous post that I recently upgraded the hard drive and reimaged my MBP with Snow Leopard.  There have been a few headaches along the way, but none that couldn’t be worked through with google and a little tenacity.

The latest issue is: how to sync iPhone and iPod to the newly imaged computer?  Thanks to parasitic organizations like the RIAA, the manufacturers of mp3 players have to design the devices so that music can be uploaded to, and not downloaded from the device.  This has been standard operating procedure since the aforementioned parasitic RIAA sued the Diamond corporation after it introduced the first commercial quality mp3 player.  They claimed that it could be used to distribute copyrighted materials.  They used the same argument used against VCRs in the 1980s, but Diamond settled by making the device writable to by not readable from, so they would be able to release their product.  I digress.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted under IT

MAC OSX and remembered wireless networks

So I just upgraded the hard drive in my generation-1 MacBookPro, from the 160GB that it came with to a groovy new 500GB drive.  I took advantage of the opportunity to do a clean install of SnowLeopard; I figured that enough people have probably struggled through getting their old apps to work on the new OS that I could probably quickly Google whatever didn’t just work for me right from the get go.  Well, I needed to install new versions of most apps for them to work right.

An unfortunate and secondary effect walking around with a pristine and clean new install was that all the previously memorized WiFi networks (and encryption keys) were all lost.  Fortunately, I still have my original 160GB drive as an external USB.  It turns out that all the previously “remembered” WiFi networks are basically in an XML format in the following .plist file:


Simply recover that file, drop it in the correct path (you’ll have to use sudo if you’re a command-line jockey) and *bang*… it works.  Unfortunately, you can’t simply extract the WEP or WPA credentials, they’re stored in some <key> format.  *sigh*

Still, this saved me a lot of time and headache!

Posted under IT, Travel

How to convert a .dmg file to a .iso file

As always, googling found the answer to my problem, and to save myself having to look for it again, I figured I’d document it here.

Open a terminal window and:

hdiutil convert /path/to/mac_image_file.dmg -format UDTO -o /path/to/standard_image.iso
Posted under IT, Personal

How to use a Netgear WGR614 wireless router as a bridge

WGR614The short answer, don’t plug your uplink into the internet slot, instead plug it into one of the four internal ports. This page on Netgear’s web site does a so-so job explaining, but the diagram is pretty good.

Before you do this, make sure you’ve configured the LAN IP of your WGR614 to be a member of your IP network, preferably with a Static IP rather than as a DHCP client, so you can find the device later should you want to admin its setup.  Technically though, that’s not really necessary as a network bridge will simply pass the traffic regardless if it is addressable or not!  This can make your Access Point very secure by only being addressable on another logical IP network (although security through obscurity is probably not the only thing you should rely on).  Also, don’t forget to deactivate the built-in DHCP server, unless you actually want to use it in which case make sure your DHCP scope is consistent with your existing network and doesn’t overlap with the scopes of other DHCP servers… but if you’ve read this far and know what I’m talking about, you probably knew that.  We can simply ignore the WAN setup since it’s not at all used.

If you’re at all curious why I did this, here’s the full story…

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted under IT, Personal